G-FYI™: Gilmer County Schools Superintendent Blankenship’s Update
Friday, June 22, 2012
Weekly Update for BOE:
• On Monday, the BOE met at Gilmer County High School. Mr. Ted Shriver updated the board on progress related to the inter county elementary school. Part of the presentation outlined activities of the Educational Specifications Planning Committee. The next planning committee meeting will be on June 20, 2012 at Alum Bridge Elementary starting at 9:00 a.m.
• On Tuesday, Mrs. Starkey and I attended the monthly meeting of the Calhoun Gilmer Administrative Council. Mrs. Starkey will give a report at the July 2, 2012 board meeting. The remainder of the day was spent reviewing applications for all posted positions. We were very fortunate to have over twenty applications for current elementary vacancies.
• On Tuesday evening, I met with the CEFP Committee and gave them an update on the Inter County elementary school project. In addition, the committee discussed the feasibility of acquiring the Arbuckle site for the proposed Gilmer Elementary site before the purchase option expires. The committee discussed the pros and cons regarding acquisition but did not reach a consensus. Consequently, we do not plan to exercise the purchase option for the site.
• On Wednesday, the Inter County Educational Specifications Planning Committee met at Alum Bridge Elementary. The morning was spent discussing the different design aspects of the new building and various staffing issues.
• On Thursday, I attended the annual year end celebration for all youth involved in the Region Four Youth Advantage Program. Unfortunately, it appears funding will not be available for a summer work component.
• The roof air conditioning unit on the courthouse annex broke a fan blade on Thursday. Consequently, temperatures in the second floor offices reached mid-nineties by early afternoon. As a result, I will allow the central office staff to work at other locations until the unit is repaired early next week.
• I will be in Charleston next week for the State Superintendent Leadership Institute and WVASA conference.
Please contact me if you have questions.