Flashback: What Happened on October 30, ....
• 1776 A petition to the Virginia General Assembly argued the plan to create the colony of Westsylvania in western Virginia did not have the unanimous support of western Virginians.
• 1849 The Wheeling Wire Suspension Bridge was completed across the Ohio River.
• 1919 An alleged plot by coal miners to assassinate Governor Cornwell was abandoned.
• 1922 The Logan County Coal Corporation acquired the Lundale Coal Company as part of a massive consolidation.
• 1988 The UMW came to an agreement with Rocky Hollow Coal Company, the first subsidiary of A. T. Massey Coal Company to sign a contract with the union since the current wage agreement went into effect in 1984, when Massey withdrew from the Bituminous Coal Operators Association.