Flashback: What Happened on July 04, ....
• 1778 George Rogers Clark defeated British forces in the Illinois territory of Kaskaskia. Coupled with Clarks victory at Vincennes, this greatly relieved the threat of Indian attacks in western Virginia.
• 1784 Bishop Francis Asbury preached at Cheat River.
• 1863 The West Virginia Constitution was changed on July 04, 1863, providing for the abolition of all slaves born after July 04, 1863 when they reached the age of 21.
• 1896 The cornerstone was laid for Mahood Hall, the first building of the Bluefield Colored Institute, which later became Bluefield State College, Mercer County.
• 1986 WVPG public radio went on the air in Parkersburg.