Election 2012: Dr. Bill Simmons – Candidate for Gilmer County Board of Education
To the Voters of Gilmer County:
After a long career in public school and higher education which covered everything from teaching seventh grade English through being Chancellor of the West Virginia Board of Regents, I have decided to put my education and experience to use in bringing positive changes to Gilmer County Schools. While all educational systems are complicated and face continual challenges, there are key factors that must exist and be known and understood if our students are to receive a competitive educational experience. From my own educational history and from forty plus years of teaching and administrative experience, I understand what it takes to make a successful school or school system.
If I am elected to the Gilmer County Board of Education, I can promise an honest effort to accomplish the following goals for our schools:
(1) Address the deficiencies cited in the State audit and regain control of the County School System.
(2) Insist on hiring the most capable teaching and administrative staff for the County.
(3) Work to have a comprehensive study of the County’s facilities needs done by an outside, independent professional study group.
(4) Develop a long-range plan for Gilmer County Schools which sets forth a vision for our county schools including goals of achievement and unique program opportunities for the future. Plan must be communicated and understood by school personnel, parents and the general public.
(5) Promise a County System that is transparent, open and accountable.
(6) Develop clear lines of communication from the schools to the public.
Thanking you in advance for your support.
William K. Simmons, Ph.D.