Gilmer Free Press
2009 Sand Fork Alumni Association’s Annual Dinner
Sand Fork Alumni Association holds its annual dinner for Alumni and friends/family of the Sand Fork School and community annually on the Saturday preceding the Fourth of July.
This year’s dinner was held at the Gilmer County Senior Center on Saturday, June 27, 2009.
Jim Johnson, president of the Alumni
Membership is open to anyone who has attended or been employed by Sand Fork High School and/or Sand Fork Elementary School. There are no membership fees. Donations for continuance of the Scholarship Fund and the Annual Alumni Dinner are encouraged.
Funding for Sand Fork Alumni scholarships is through the generous support of the alumni and friends.
Facing camera - Del Freeman, Thelma Waugh Freeman, Summers Furr,
Jim Fields, Cora Fields
Betty Woofter and Judy Jones (signing people in)
Each year, the Sand Fork High School Alumni Association awards scholarships to graduating Gilmer County High School seniors who plan to further their education at a two or four-year college or university.
Facing camera - Ted Loftis, Nancy Bartlett, Sandy Foster, Connie Beall
Table for The golden Class of 1959. Facing camera - Bob Jones,
Rosalee Roberts, opposite side, Jimmy Love, Patty Hamric, Linda Dudley
FACTS AND HISTORY OF SAND FORK SCHOOL
(Taken from “The Lion’s Roar”) May 29, 1968
—- The smallest Sand Fork High School graduating class was the 1924 class of four members; the largest was the 32-member class of 1966.
—- The school song, which begins “Proudly stands our schoolhouse on the hill”, was written by Mr. Roland Butcher. Mr. Walker Bailey, ’40, wrote the school hymn, “Look for the Right.”
—- The evergreen shrubbery near the front south corner of the high school building was a gift to the school from Mr. Ford Lowe, ’35, owner of Lowe’s Nursery in Parkersburg.
—- In 1969, a county high school was established, combining Glenville, Sand Fork, Tanner, Troy, and Normantown. These five schools became elementary schools, and Gilmer County High School opened in 1969.
—- Sand Fork High School’s girls’ basketball team were runners-up to the state champions in 1925. At center was Freda Brown (Burke). Forwards were Ruth Lynch and Violet Moore (Marks). Guards were Dora Wiant (Marshall), Ormeda Moore (Marks).