Flashback: What Happened on July 27, ....
• 1756 On July 27, George Washington directed fifty troops to be stationed at Fort Trout Rock on the South Branch of the Potomac River in present-day Pendleton County.
• 1892 The Democratic State Convention met in Parkersburg.
• 1933 West Virginia placed all its employees under blanket code, becoming the first state to do so.
• 1964 About 1,600 members of the United Auto Workers local voted to accept a new contract, ending a bitter three-month strike at the FMC ordnance plant in South Charleston.
• 1977 Union Carbide suspended the manufacture of fluorocarbons.
• 1978 The United Mine Workers (UMWA) International Executive Board rejected a petition to recall President Arnold Miller.
• 1984 The violence-plagued fifteen-day strike at the Heartland Nursing Home in Beckley (Raleigh County) ended.