Flashback: What Happened on August 01, ....
• 1893 The county seat of Tucker County was moved from St. George to Parsons by 700 armed men led by Ward Parsons.
• 1912 Mother Jones addressed 6000 people at the Charleston levee, rallying the miners to support the strike.
• 1921 Baldwin-Felts agents killed Sid Hatfield and Ed Chambers on the McDowell County courthouse steps in Welch.
• 1926 Workers broke ground on the east wing of the new capitol building.
• 1955 Governor Marland appointed William Laird III of Fayetteville to succeed Milton J. Ferguson as State Tax Commissioner.
• 1969 UMW president Tony Boyle announced that the $35 cut from miner pensions would be restored, through an agreement on 24 June with Bituminous Coal Operators Association president George Judy.